Thursday, January 14, 2010

The First Leg

Yesterday I took Amtrak's Coast Starlight line from Sacramento, CA to Eugene, OR. It was magnificent. The train left Sacramento at midnight, and I woke up (a bit disoriented ) as the sun was rising over beautiful mountain-ringed meadows in southern Oregon. I spent most of the day in the observation car, where I met all kinds of interesting people: a Scottish cowboy, a dreamcatcher maker, a classics professor, a law student. Even as the train creaked to a halt over a rickety bridge, almost everyone around me seemed to be singing the praises of rail travel. Audio piece to follow!
Today I begin the longest leg of my journey, about 39 hours in total, on Amtrak's most grandly named route. I'm taking the Empire Builder to St. Paul/Minneapolis.

4 comments:

  1. Molly I miss you - and at the beginning of break I RODE THE EMPIRE BUILDER! ;) I took it from Seattle to Montana to visit a friend - I think you'll meet up with the Seattle train in Spokane. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss u a lot. Molly- the girl with such a pured-heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bronwen Marshall-BassJanuary 29, 2010 at 2:06 PM

    st. paul! yay! Molly, this is a awesome project, and I eagerly await the stories to come... but the videos have not been working on my computer... this makes me sad.

    Best of luck in netting yourself some beautiful stories.

    ReplyDelete